Oral Health 2020
Since launching a national systems-change strategy in 2011, our investments have helped to build a large, interconnected network of national, state, and community-based change agents dedicated to improving the oral health of all. Today, this network is transforming the national dialogue and re-shaping the landscape of action on behalf of optimal oral health for all.
Oral Health 2020 is a multi-year effort to strengthen and unify the network, build upon current initiative strategies, and expand impact. The time is right to bring about lasting systems change through the power of collective action. We are engaging grantees and partners around a set of bold, shared goals with specific targets to be achieved by 2020.
Oral Health 2020 investments and network building strategies are structured around the realization of a shared vision that by the year 2020: "Oral health is essential to lifelong health and well-being."
Oral Health 2020 Goals:
Goal 1 Eradicate dental disease in children.
- With the closing of disparity gaps, 85% of children reach age 5 without a cavity
Goal 2 Incorporate oral health into the primary education system.
- The 10 largest school districts have incorporated oral health into their systems
Goal 3 Include an adult dental benefit in publicly funded health coverage.
- At least 30 states have an extensive Medicaid adult dental benefit.
- Medicare includes an extensive dental benefit.
Goal 4 Build a comprehensive national oral health measurement system
- A national and state-based oral health measurement system is in place
Goal 5 Integrate oral health into person-centered healthcare.
- Oral health is integrating into at least 50% of emerging person-centered care models.
Goal 6 Improve the public perception of the value of oral health to overall health.
- Oral health is increasingly included in health dialogue and public policy.